Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Merry Little Christmas

     So many families find themselves harried and stressed this time of year.  Is it any wonder suicide rates go up around Christmas.  We run around finding the perfect gift.  We try to create the perfect dish for the perfect meal.  We shop until we find the perfect outfits for the perfect family picture for the perfect Christmas cards.  What we don't do is concentrate on what really matters.  Our families become secondary to what we think they "need" or want.  We drag our kids, spouses, and friends from place to place to keep traditions alive.  We stress everyone out over what Christmas has become not what it should be.  Christmas should be about a baby, who became a man, who died on a cross for us all.  Whether we choose to celebrate His birth, the fact is he celebrates us no matter who we are, no matter what we have done.  A recent trip to a mall bookstore sickened me.  A bookcase full of "Christmas" books and NOT ONE one about Him.  The same is true of our "Christmas Specials" on television.  I can only think of one that even references Jesus (thank you Charlie Brown).  How long before He is completely gone from Christmas?  Never in my house...As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.  So, as you evaluate your Christmas traditions which ones glorify Him?  Which traditions strengthen your family unit?  Ask yourself should this be a tradition or a memory?  Feel free to share your family favorites and least favorites.  From our house to yours...May you have a blessed Christmas and New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Just what I felt this Christmas, could have been my words. I've really struggled this Christmas with what it has become, the focus is materialism, what you get not give, it's stressful and for me a bit depressing this year. Feeling this way about a week ago I decided I would give money (a smaller amount this year) to my son and daughter for them to purchase gifts for the children. To me being able to spend time with my family is what matters and more importantly Jesus, who has been lost in all this. So I'm going to take my experience this year and change things around to what it should be next year. I'll start out with JESUS and plan from there. Your question about what traditions strengthens your family unit is a good place for me to start evaluating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ended up starting a new traditions with our nieces and nephews. We took our World Vision catelog instead of gifts. They all picked out a way to help someone less fortunate then they will ever be. We do three gifts for our own children. When our 10 and 12 year old heard what we were doing for their cousins they asked to give up one of their gifts. I am so glad they get it! Thanks for commenting Debbie!

    ReplyDelete