Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Scoutmaster Becomes the Pupil

I have been blessed to be the chairperson of our local American Heritage Girls troop.  My daughter wanted to scout like her big brother, so 5 years ago a friend and I set out on a journey and got our church to charter this group.  We have had our ups and downs, but for the most part I have enjoyed the adventure. 

Well, today we had a meeting and I was to teach a portion of the sewing badge.  Laughable really for anyone who knows me well.  But, I prepared all the same and took my arsenal of sewing thingy majiggies that honestly, mostly belong to my daughter.  I need to teach some basic skills; cutting fabric, sewing on buttons, identify basic equipment, etc. So off we head to our meeting!   I got this.  NO PROBLEM. 

Well, maybe there would be a bit of a problem, in walks Little Susie Seamstress (a new recruit with an plethora of knowledge in the art of sewing).  It was clearly evident in about two seconds she was way more qualified then I was to teach this badge.  What should I do?  I will tell you what I did.  I took a seat, handed over my needle and took notes.

 I enjoyed every bit of watching this young lady spread her wings.  It was beautiful.   She explained clearly and precisely to our little girls, on a foreign to her machine, how to thread a bobbin, how to thread the machine, how to steam press a seam, and how to sew a straight seam.  Sewing a straight seam is something I am confident I had no way of showing them.  See, I had planned to bring in an expert.  Life got busy and I didn't get that arranged.  I read over the badge, said a little prayer,  and was confident I could do it and all would be fine.  It was.  God sent this sweet little angel to her first ever A.H.G. meeting and gave her the opportunity to shine.  I don't have to tell you how much the younger girls now look up to her.  She left with a merit badge book in hand and a smile on her face.  Promising before she left that she would have completed a badge before our next meeting.  She was at least two years older then all the other girls but, it didn't matter.  She had found a place to shine. 

Can you see how differently this could have gone had I stuck to MY plan?  When God blesses you with the opportunity to bless someone, do you stick to the plan or do you allow them to use their talents to bless others as well?  Sticking to the plan isn't always our best option in life.  It certainly wasn't my best option today.  Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment